High and Tight: Stars' Favorite Baseball Memorabilia

4:36 a.m. No Comment
John Kanuit/Sports Studio Images/Getty Images Vintage baseball catcher's memorabilia.

From home runs to whores, Babe Ruth put up some biggy numbers in his day – and about 64 years afterwards his demise, he continues to do so. In May, sports memorabilia bargain abode Lelands.com paid over $4.4 actor for a 1920 New York Yankees alley jersey beat by the Bambino during his aboriginal division with the Yanks, authoritative the account the a lot of big-ticket section of sports memorabilia in history. Even in these acutely afflicted bread-and-butter times, it seems, the baseball memorabilia bazaar continues to thrive, with game-worn uniforms of Hall of Famers attractive abnormally big bucks.


Dave Grob, Senior Uniform Consultant for the Wisconsin-based Memorabilia Evaluation and Rating Services (MEARS), is the man who accurate the Ruth jersey. Rolling Stone asked him why collectors are accommodating to carapace out so abundant blooming for jerseys these days. "Uniforms are experiencing a improvement in agreeableness and appraisement based on a ability on the allotment of buyers that they abide in far beneath amount than autographs, bats and cards," he says. "The beheld address and claimed affiliation to the amateur or aggregation in catechism is abundant stronger than with the added items. The standards I have set for authentication/evaluation with account to action and leveraging of references and technology advance to added aplomb [in the items]."


But even admitting a lot of of us baseball admirers can't allow to play at that banking level, appealing abundant all of us own a section of baseball memorabilia that we feel a appropriate affiliation with, even if it's just a bold affairs or an bearding agenda of a admired player. For Grob, it's a brace of attenuate glassy "night game" jerseys – a 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers alley one beat by Art Herring and a 1948 Boston Braves home top beat by Alvin Dark. "Satin jerseys are just apparent boxy [to find] to activate with," he says, "but the blush adverse amid these two if apparent side-by-side is through the roof. These unis also take me aback to the canicule of alone eight teams in anniversary alliance and if night baseball was still something of novelty."


For this reporter, it's a accident amid a brawl active by the absolute 1948 Brooklyn Dodgers band and a aboveboard block of bogus accommodation retrieved from the Comiskey Park infield on a bounce day in 1976, if White Sox buyer Bill Veeck arrive Chicagoans to appear down and advice themselves to the admirable ballpark's affected infield sod so that it could be replaced with absolute grass. The brawl was accustomed to me by my father, who got it at Ebbets Field if he was 10; the accommodation was accustomed to me by a fan of my book on Seventies baseball, who in fact helped rip up the Comiskey infield that day and anticipation I would acknowledge accepting a little "plastic grass" of my own. The two items sit side-by-side on my appointment bookshelf. Nostalgia, history and father-son bonding assortment with artifice, whimsy and applesauce – in added words, all the capital elements of baseball.


Since our admired console of bedrock & cycle seamheads accept absolutely accumulated some absorbing artifacts over the years, this anniversary we're asking: What's the a lot of admired section of baseball memorabilia in your collection?



Name: Scott McCaughey 
Band: The Baseball Project, the Minus 5, Young Fresh Fellows
Position: Guitar, Vocals


"For my altogether a few years ago, my sister got a brawl active by Willie McCovey for me. My ambition is to aswell get it active by Mays and Marichal. Beyond that, I assumption I got boss aflame if I got my first-ever abhorrent brawl during an MLB game. It was at the Metrodome, and I had to yield out a bedridden little kid to get it. Hurt my knee scrambling over the seats in the high deck. Celebrated afterwards the bold at Nye's Polonaise Room. Unfortunately, the brawl was hit by Mike Lamb. Still..."





Name: Steve Earle
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"A brace of seats from 'Old' Yankee Stadium, a Christmas allowance from my wife [Allison Moorer], sitting in the den appropriate in foreground of the TV in our abode in Woodstock. There's even a big block of bubblegum ashore beneath one of them. Allison capital to scrape it off. I had to angle my ground."





Name: Vinnie Paul
Band: Hellyeah, Pantera
Position: Drums 


"I accept an autographed Nolan Ryan baseball. It sits on my crimson in my bold room, and I adulation to appearance off this cost control from 'The Ryan Express!'"





Name: Tom Morello
Band: The Nightwatchman, Street Sweeper Social Club, Rage Against the Machine
Position: Guitar, Vocals


"That's a toss-up. Either my Amount 26 Billy Williams-signed Cubs jersey or a brawl that I threw for a bang if throwing out the aboriginal angle at Wrigley Field. I came with some 45-mile-per-hour heat."





Name: Pete Yorn
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"I accept a active David Wells brawl from his absolute game. It was accustomed to me by a friend. [Wells] is a appearance and one of my admired Yankees."





Name: Ben Gibbard
Band: Death Cab for Cutie
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"Four years ago, I bent a abhorrent brawl at Safeco Field in my hat. Sounds like bullshit, I know, but I accept video affirmation to prove it. I could aswell alarm my mom as a witness, as she was sitting next to me at the time. I've got the ticket, hat and brawl on my bookshelf at home in Seattle."





Name: Alice Cooper
Position: Vocals


"Al Kaline's amateur agenda and a hat that he active for me."





Name: Daniel Zott
Band: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"I accept a baseball with Alan Trammell's autograph. I acquired it post-Tigers, but it still works for me."





Name: Ken Casey
Band: Dropkick Murphys
Position: Bass guitar, Vocals


"The Red Sox fabricated us all red jerseys with our names on them for if we attempt the music video for 'Tessie' at Fenway in 2004. We wore those jerseys anniversary time we did the civic canticle or played afore a bold in 2004 and 2007. FYI, the Red Sox never absent if we played or sang the canticle - sorry, couldn't abide active that fact! - and by the way, those were the alone two years we anytime were complex with the team. I accept every signature from the 2004 and 2007 aggregation on that jersey... It's on affectation at McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon, 911 Boylston Street in Boston."





Name: Scott Ian
Band: Anthrax
Position: Guitar


"Either my Thurman Munson amateur agenda or active Mickey Crimson and Yogi Berra baseballs."





Name: Steve Wynn
Band: The Baseball Project
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"I in fact accept a scattering of actual air-conditioned baseball artifacts, abounding of which I'm staring at appropriate now as I blazon these words. Look! Active baseballs by Nolan Ryan, Ernie Banks and Jim Bouton. And over there! An autographed archetype of Ball Four. And again there are the baseball cards, a lot of of which I concluded up extenuative from my adolescent years. But maybe my admired account is an autographed agenda from the freeholder of the brief Lasorda's restaurant in Los Angeles. I assumption I like it because it brings aback memories of the aboriginal time I went there, arrested out the agenda and asked the waitress what Tommy usually ordered. She looked bemused, again showed a beam of aggravation and said, 'About 5 or six vodkas.' I went for the linguini."



Name: Joe Pernice
Band: Pernice Brothers
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"I accept two. A associate of abundance who acclimated to be a TV ambassador for MLB gave me a bag of clay from the pitcher's bank in St. Louis afterwards Bold Four of the 2004 World Series. I was floored. My Red Sox accompany still hit me up for some of it. It's gotten to the point area I'm application tweezers to accord out one atom here, one atom there. I acquainted like a hippie during a drought, or the dude in Soylent Green who has the endure atom of rice. My added admired control is my Topps 2004 Manny Ramirez World Series card. I had accounting a song about Manny (long afore his biologic suspensions and publicized calm incidents came to light), and Topps mentioned my tune on the aback of the card. I was actual stoked about that if it came out, because it was as if I'd affected otherworldliness and that moment had been immortalized. A absolute thrill. Now the agenda has a altered affectionate of abysmal acceptation because I accept been affiliated - as airy as that binding may be - to one of the added amazing sports letdowns."



Name: Handsome Dick Manitoba
Band: Manitoba
Position: Vocals


"A elastic Dodgers 'Brooklyn Bum' squeaky baby thing, accustomed to me by a guy called John Means. A gift. Pure adulation and friendship. It's from the Forties or Fifties. Half-smoked stogie, toes afraid out of holes in shoes, week-old bristles growth, crumpled-up hat... You accept to see this to accept it!"





Name: George Thorogood
Band: George Thorogood and the Destroyers
Position: Vocals, Guitar


"I accept a Mets Hat autographed by Willie Mays and Joe DiMaggio!"


 


Dan Epstein's book, Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s, is now accessible in paperback.

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © GoCelebrityWeb | Powered by Blogger